+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: 6.5l gm diesel

1. 6.5l gm diesel

can anybody help me locate an other than chinese block (new) for 1998 and newer 6.5l turbo diesel? thanks

2. Join Date
    Sep 2004

I had heard they were made off shore but are they bad casting/machining???
    I have seen a few in service with no issues. Are the shops out there having grief with them or you just do not want to use them cause of where they are cast/machined??
    ProPower Engine& Machine
    In canada Eh!!

3. Join Date
    Nov 2004

I don't know much about the aftermarket blocks, but I do know that the guys around here that do a lot of diesel work have nothing good to say of the aftermarket 6.5 diesel heads that are available now.

tom

4. We have purchased two and not very satisfied. Had to hone the dickens out to try to streighten the bores and line hone one.The vendor says they are t/plate honed and cant be checked with a bore gauge. ON our third new block, we bolted a head and checked from the bottom. It certainly helped, but the #7 hole still had .002 o/r /taper. anybody ever checked repeatability on t/plating? I sure would like to find a domestic block. AM General will not sell a casting to a small timer like us i guess. Thanks for looking and respons. Bob

5. Join Date
    Sep 2004

Bob,
    I heard that World/Dart may be making a replacement block for the application. They also make a new stock replacement block for Sm. Blk. GM that is similar to their race blocks. This diesel block sounds like alot like every other aftermarket block I have had regardless of make with semi finished cyl. bores and main line. Just wondered how close are the bores to size or are they advertized as finished to size and just do a final hone like dart or world blocks.
    ProPower Engine& Machine
    In canada Eh!!

6. These blocks were advertised as ready to assemble and they were to size but I cant advise buying one. We dont even want to bore it and buy pistons because we dont have a t/plate as these blocks apparently need one. I just got some info that IHC sells a s/block that is supposidly new. I'll let you know. Thanks

7. Join Date
    Sep 2004

BoB,
    Talked to 1 of my suppliers today and he told me of a place in Alabama that has blocks that are excellent quality and he did tell me that there was a load of reject blocks onthe market. They have seen them and they are junk poorly finished in all aspects. He did say that they were about 1600.00CDN and he had a 2 in stock if you need one.
    ProPower Engine& Machine
    In canada Eh!!

8. Dave, I think I maybe talked to him a day ago. A fellow at 861 6907 and he knew of the product we have purchased. Sounds like these guys have a better thing going, and we have come to believe that NOOO body is casting that block in USA or Canada. Thanks again for your help. Bob

9. Join Date
    Sep 2004

For that youare correct! They are made off shore but some junk has found it's way on the market. Had a guy from shang-hi call me and wanted to sell me a batch of cyl. head seconds which needed some work and seats installed. Same outfit that had the junk blocks that he said needed to be bored oversize as there machine operator programed the size wrong. Would be a hell of a deal at 300.00 per block but you had to have 50 or more at that price. Go figure.
    ProPower Engine& Machine
    In canada Eh!!

10. 6.5L parts

Dave, Did you try here?

http://www.geppdiesel.com/

Tim

+ Reply to Thread