+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: 3.2 / 3.5 DOHC Isuzu Timing

1. Join Date
    Nov 2004

3.2 / 3.5 DOHC Isuzu Timing

We have had a rash of these heads in our shop. It has been amazing to me how many times people call or come back saying we installed the cams wrong. I have researched and asked sevaral other shops including a couple head rebuilders. We all agree that our shop has installed the cams correct.
    A few months back we had a 3.5 Isuzu engine in for a rebuild.It was for one of our regular garage customers. The rebuild went well, the engine was returned to the shop. A few days later they call and inform me that they had to send the vehicle to the Isuzu dealer to be timed. It cost them $300.00 and they felt like we should reimburse them. I agreed but told him he should have consulted with me first.
    Now just this past week we did a 3.2 Isuzu rebuild. Again it went smooth.
    The shop called me and said that the engine would only run on one bank.
    They had exhausted all means of checking and wanted me to come by and take a look. I asked him to have the valve covers removed for me.
    I spent an hour or so examining the timing, which was correct on the belt, but the actual valve timing was not right with the crankshaft.
    Not really using my thinking cap proper, I asked them to remove the engine and return it to our shop so I could find the problem.
    The engine arrived the next morning. I put my engine assembly guy on it right away. We removed the cams, pressed off the drive gears, inspected the dowel pins, they were intact. We reinstalled the cams, retimed the engine. As we rotated the engine through its cycles, the vale opening and closing was not right.
    The timing marks on the belt and drive gears came right back to the proper place. We did this sevaral more times, consulted a couple diffent timing books. Made a few calls, but it seemed we were doing all we could do. I have just recently bought a book from Motors that covers all timing marks from 1965 to present. I decided to read the words and not just look at the pictures.
    It hit me like a ton of bricks. I called my head guy, my block guy and had them to join me and my assembly guy in the engine room.
    Its not really complicated, but it is a bit weird.
    We all were amazed that the procedure was not listed any where else. I asume that Aldata and maybe Mitchell on Demand has it, but most techs are just like us and only look at the picture.
    If any of you have experience a problem with these engines, I'll be glad to share with you how to do it. I am gonna ask the guys at AERA to add the instructions to the tech bulletin for these engines.
    Larry (LSAMS)
    Larry Smith Automotive Machine Shop

2. Join Date
    Sep 2004

It would seem that most belt guides for installation do not cover the weird stuff. I have gone and got several different versions of installation guides and have found not all cover the complete timing sequences and installation procedures with respect to crank to cam(s) phazing. I found out along time ago after having to redo a 24valve toyota 3 times because the book was wrong because you had to turn a page in an attemp to get all the info. That book has since made a good fire log. But thanks for the heads up on that one.

3. 3.2 sohc

Quote Originally Posted by LSAMS View Post
    We have had a rash of these heads in our shop. It has been amazing to me how many times people call or come back saying we installed the cams wrong. I have researched and asked sevaral other shops including a couple head rebuilders. We all agree that our shop has installed the cams correct.
    A few months back we had a 3.5 Isuzu engine in for a rebuild.It was for one of our regular garage customers. The rebuild went well, the engine was returned to the shop. A few days later they call and inform me that they had to send the vehicle to the Isuzu dealer to be timed. It cost them $300.00 and they felt like we should reimburse them. I agreed but told him he should have consulted with me first.
    Now just this past week we did a 3.2 Isuzu rebuild. Again it went smooth.
    The shop called me and said that the engine would only run on one bank.
    They had exhausted all means of checking and wanted me to come by and take a look. I asked him to have the valve covers removed for me.
    I spent an hour or so examining the timing, which was correct on the belt, but the actual valve timing was not right with the crankshaft.
    Not really using my thinking cap proper, I asked them to remove the engine and return it to our shop so I could find the problem.
    The engine arrived the next morning. I put my engine assembly guy on it right away. We removed the cams, pressed off the drive gears, inspected the dowel pins, they were intact. We reinstalled the cams, retimed the engine. As we rotated the engine through its cycles, the vale opening and closing was not right.
    The timing marks on the belt and drive gears came right back to the proper place. We did this sevaral more times, consulted a couple diffent timing books. Made a few calls, but it seemed we were doing all we could do. I have just recently bought a book from Motors that covers all timing marks from 1965 to present. I decided to read the words and not just look at the pictures.
    It hit me like a ton of bricks. I called my head guy, my block guy and had them to join me and my assembly guy in the engine room.
    Its not really complicated, but it is a bit weird.
    We all were amazed that the procedure was not listed any where else. I asume that Aldata and maybe Mitchell on Demand has it, but most techs are just like us and only look at the picture.
    If any of you have experience a problem with these engines, I'll be glad to share with you how to do it. I am gonna ask the guys at AERA to add the instructions to the tech bulletin for these engines.
    That's funny i should run across this bulletin. I am into a isuzu 3.2 now and found the same prollem. My manual had next to nothing on the weirdness of the timing on this puppy. I have since been advised to set the cam marks on driver side then rotate the passenger side back an 1/8 or 1/4 to compress the spring and then set the proper mark on the crank. Nowhere in any book did i get this info. I also am into a 97 rodeo and have found getting the crank pulley bolt off to be imposible. I have put 200psi impact on it broken a strap wrench with breaker on it broken a 24mm socket on it. Any ideas???

4. Join Date
    Nov 2004

Since I posted this message I have received sevaral calls from shops
    looking for an answer. It amazed me how many have had a problem with this engine. Just recently one of our garage customers came in with the left head removed from one of these nightmares. He said the Customer came in for a waterpump and now three weeks later he has the head in our shop because he thought he had warped valves. As it ended up it was just the crazy timing ordeal. He just couldn't beleive it. He left our shop a tired and angry man. I feel his pain.
    Larry (LSAMS)
    Larry Smith Automotive Machine Shop

5. Join Date
    Sep 2004

GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU AGAIN LARRY.
    Seems some things never change.
    ProPower Engine& Machine
    In canada Eh!!

6. Join Date
    Jan 2008

Larry
    We have a 1999 Honda Passport that we did an overhaul and seem to have this timing issue. Its only hitting on the left bank. Its a 3.2 isuzu and we went by timing sequence in prosis.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank You
    MIke

7. Isuzu Problems

Had Same Problem With This Motor. Went And Bought Extra Large Drill And Modified 1/2 Inch Extension. Now All Motors Are Spin Tested And Checked For Comp. And Oil Leaks Before They Leave The Shop. Kind Of Like Using Poor Mans Simtest.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    NW side of Chicago, IL, 6 miles from the lake.

Isuzu DOHC timing

Larry,
    Please Look at AERA TB's TB2143 & TB2144 made in 2004. Since that time everyone said the TB's do the job if they do not let me know.
    Mike

9. Join Date
    Jan 2008

Ok, I went by TB2143 and TB2144 and went from engine hitting on drivers side. To will not start. The cams and idler gear are lined up correctly. The only thing i'm not sure of is that the timing belt gears on the heads have three marks. One line and two u shaped marks. None of which shows any green. What am I missing ?????????

10. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    NW side of Chicago, IL, 6 miles from the lake.

Mike,

What year vehicle?

Mike

+ Reply to Thread